Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Cook in Me

When I was growing up, I never thought much about cooking or have the curiosity of learning how to whip up a dish or two. Aside from the compulsory acquired skill in cooking rice, frying eggs and cooking maggi mee, all I did was dutifully peel and chop onions, garlic and vegetables and whatever else my mom thought I was capable of. Like my mother and many young moms out there, we learnt to cook only after marriage. Gosh, I made that sound like it was an obligation!

Luckily for me, this obligation to ensure my family is fed well has turned out for the better. I realized I love baking and cooking – western style as opposed to the Chinese style of deep-frying and stir-fry. I suppose I’m too lazy to clean up the oil and splatter – what a mess!

Of the many recipes I’ve tried, this particular one had Jeff telling me off, “No time to talk” during my regular eating-time-must-chat sessions over lunch. And Josh made me happy by gulping down the food fast and exclaiming “hmmm” enthusiastically with the goody thumb sticking out. No, I’m not making this up!

So I thought of sharing the customized recipe with you. Hopefully you will enjoy it as much as we did! Let me know how it turned out. Sorry no pictures to show as they were deleted by the little one by accident!

Mel’s Roasted Chicken (Inspired by Jamie Oliver)
Serves 2

Ingredients:
2 pieces of chicken leg with skin peeled (if don’t mind extra fat, leave skin intact)
Leaves of 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary (I added 4 sprigs for extra kick!)
4 - 6 peeled medium-sized potatoes, quartered for faster cooking
8 – 10 cherry tomatoes
Dash of olive oil
Black pepper and salt to taste

Marinade mix:
2 cloves of peeled garlic
140ml of olive oil
Grated skin and juice of 1 lemon / Juice of 2 lime (if no lemon)

Blend the marinade and rub into the chicken legs, covering all nooks and cranny. Pour remaining marinade over chicken and refrigerate overnight.

The following day, mix the tomatoes and potatoes in olive oil, black pepper and salt. Place them in a low baking dish. Put the marinated chicken on top of the vegetables. Sprinkle the rosemary leaves on top.

Put the dish into preheated oven at 200ยบ and bake for 30 - 45 minutes. Remember to monitor the oven from time to time to check on chicken and vegetables, overturning them if necessary. Serve with pasta / spaghetti / fried rice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yr chicken was really good....keep up the great work

jeff